Installation (All ROMs)
- You must be rooted, have nand unlocked with the latest Clockwork Recovery installed. If you have not done this yet there are many device specific guides around to help you but we will not cover it here.
- Perform a nandroid backup of your current ROM, in case you change your mind or encounter issues.
- If you are coming from another ROM with the same exact base (i.e. same version of Sense), you may not have to wipe data. I obviously recommend wiping data the first time you install Virtuous (since it will eliminate any possibly bad/stale configuration), but the update script will not do so automatically during installation. Use your best judgement to determine what works best for you.
- Wipes are NOT required for any upgrade to/from any release with the same major version of the ROM; downgrades are a different story. Versioning schema is Major.Minor.Revision.
- Apply the zip via Clockwork Recovery. It has not been tested with any other recovery.
- Expect the first boot to take anywhere from 6-10 minutes. During this period, your phone will sit at the boot animation; just be patient. Subsequent reboots should be significantly quicker.
This occurs because the ROM is deodexed and numerous Market-originating applications are installed into /data on the first boot. If you are curious about what the phone is doing, fire up "adb logcat" and you will see a continuous stream of messages as it boots (reassurance, if you need it).
Frequently Asked QuestionsGeneral: Do I need to wipe between upgrades?
Thus far no upgrade has necessitated a wipe and it is my intention not to require a wipe unless there is a good reason to do so. So, the answer is no, you do not need to wipe. Upgrades are seamless and easy for you to apply.
General: I think I have encountered a bug. How do I report it?
Before you report a bug, you need to confirm the problem is not specific to a customization or application that you run. To do so, perform a Nandroid backup, full wipe/factory reset and (re)install the latest version of the ROM without any custom kernels. Attempt to reproduce the problem before installing any applications or using Titanium in any way. If it cannot be reproduced, chances are the root cause has nothing to do with the ROM.
We get far too many erroneous bug reports which are simply a result of user customizations or error. Such reports waste our time and those of your Virtuous peers watching this thread. So we ask that you please take the time to eliminate all your configuration, as mentioned above, before blaming the ROM and posting here.
General: When you recommend a "wipe", what does that mean and how do I do it?
Clockwork Recovery provides an option to perform a factory reset, which will format the /data and /cache partitions on your device. This will result in all of the ROM and application settings to be deleted. You should always perform a Nandroid backup before a wipe, just in case you need it.
General: I wiped but all my Market applications showed up anyway, what happened?
There's a backup to Google feature built into Android. You are asked about this on initial setup. If you set the check mark to turn it on, you will will automatically restore any previous backup. We recommend unchecking this box after a wipe. You can re-enable it anytime by going into Settings -> Privacy. Just make sure to turn off the automatic restore option when you do so.
General: Is it safe to restore system and/or application data with Titanium?
First and foremost, you should never restore system data. In the few cases where it actually does work, I still recommend against it. You're asking for trouble if you do. Restoring application data is mostly safe.
General: I just installed the ROM (or factory reset my existing install) and it's really slow on the first boot, what's the deal?
The first time you boot the ROM after a wipe, all ROM-provided applications destined for /data/app are installed automatically in the background. This process is CPU and IO intensive. Just be patient and it'll become snappy once this process is complete. It only happens on the first boot.
General: Which radio and/or recovery comes with you ROMs?
We do not include a radio or recovery. The only partitions we touch on your device are system, cache and data. This will never change. As of now, there are no specific radio requirements either.
Sense: I used to see HSPA+ (H) connectivity with the stock ROM, where Virtuous shows me 3G in the same area. Why is the data slower?
Some stock ROMs lie about data rate and displays H even if you are in a 3G-only territory. Virtuous displays H only when you actually have HSPA+ service.
Developer: Can I include components of your ROMs within my own ROM?
In short, yes. Please read our full policy here.